Online Teaching Support Group
Our online support group is completely free and the resources are below.
Mike also does formal training and consulting with K-12 school districts and colleges and universities in the areas of distance and hybrid learning. Visit Distance Learning Support to see how Mike might help you.
About Our Support Group:
The Covid-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak resulted in school closures and an immediate shift to distance learning models. Mike Flynn and Sarah Bent from Mount Holyoke College have created a virtual professional learning community to support educators (PreK-16) in this transition to online education. Join this group to access all of the free resources, attend our live trainings and/or receive recordings of them, and get the support you need.
Please fill out this form to join us for one of our free sessions to support your role in facilitating distance learning.
*If you already filled out the form to join one of our sessions, you’re already part of this group.
Scroll below to see all the sessions. To access the video, enter your email address or select “No thanks.” The video will then appear.
Click the chapter button on the video player to see which topics are covered on each video.
Session 1 – March 11, 2020
- Overview of Interactive Online Learning
- Zoom Basics
- Annotation Features
- Using Our Google Drive Folder
- Example of Interactive Online Learning
To access this video with closed captions, visit: Session 1 Captioned
Thanks to Lara Metcalf for captioning the video for us.
Session 2 – March 17, 2020
- Informal Opening
- Official Opening
- Dropping Pre-Loaded Text in the Chat
- Recording Your Session
- Polling in Zoom
- Tackling Assessment
- Nonverbal Feedback Features in Zoom
- Closing Comments
Session 3 – March 25, 2020
- Creating Scannable Content
- Creating Checklists for Families
- Addressing Issues of Access and Equity
- Breakout Group
- Supporting Students without Internet
- Supporting Students who have Different Devices
- Supporting Families with Multiple Kids
- Supporting Students who Don’t Have Adults Available
- Supporting English Language Learners
- Supporting Students who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Supporting Students who are Blind
- Supporting Students on IEP’s
- Supporting Students in Different Time Zones
- Supporting Students with Social/Emotional Needs
- Setting Up a Jigsaw Discussion in Zoom
Session 4 March 30
- Legality of Live Streaming and Recording Students
- Zoom Bombing and Security
- Protecting Yourself & Your Family While Streaming
- Addressing Parent Complaints