Online course offering for spring 2016:
Our interactive online courses are designed to accommodate working professionals. Coursework is immediately applicable in classrooms and assignments involve working with students. The workload is manageable and includes asynchronous discussions as well as live virtual learning sessions. See our available course offering below.
Mathematics Coaching: Designing Effective Professional Development
Online professional development for instructional leaders and math coaches (K-8) based on your own work with teachers and offering personalized feedback from experienced coaches.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until program is full. Application deadline is December 31, 2015.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the complexities associated with implementation of the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics and create solutions to help support districts in this endeavor.
- Use research to guide productive math coaching plans.
- Stay focused on mathematics while setting goals and developing collaborative relationships.
- Develop strong communication and leadership skills with teachers and administrators.
- Provide opportunities for math specialists/coaches to design, develop, critique, and implement mathematics professional development experiences for teachers.
- Time: Asynchronous sessions are scheduled on a weekly basis from January 24 – May 3.
- There are four live video conferencing sessions scheduled from 6:00 – 8:00 PM ET. The dates of these live sessions are as follows:
- February 2 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM ET
- February 23 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM ET
- April 12 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM ET
- May 3 – 6:00 – 8:00 PM ET
- No coursework is assigned during the week of Feb. 14 and the week of April 12 due to school vacations.
- Assignments: Participants will interact weekly via web board analyzing course readings, video recorded math lessons and coaching sessions, and professional development experiences of their colleagues. They will also design rich and meaningful professional development experiences for the teachers in their schools and districts. Facilitators provide detailed, individualized feedback on assignments including analysis of video recorded coaching sessions.
- Cohort Group: Interact with 20 to 24 colleagues from all over the country.
- Graduate Credits: Participants in Mathematics Coaching will receive 3 graduate credits from Mount Holyoke College upon successful completion of the course.
- The cost of the course is $1,000.