Effective Practices Series
Effective Practices for Advancing the Teaching and Learning of Middle School Mathematics
All New Sessions! All New Facilitators!
This primarily synchronous online learning experience is designed to connect educators from across the country and around world to learn from some of the educational leaders in the math community. Each session will feature a different lead instructor who will guide us in exploring an effective practice for advancing the teaching and learning of mathematics.
During these sessions participants will work collaboratively on mathematical tasks, analyze student thinking, explore instructional methodologies, and prepare to apply their new learning within their own practice.
Goals and Objectives
As a result of participating in the session or watching the recordings, you will have opportunities to:
- Learn and refine a variety of instructional practices that support students in developing a deep conceptual understanding of mathematical ideas,
- Analyze the power and complexity of students’ mathematical thinking,
- Develop questioning techniques to help students deepen their mathematical understanding,
- Experience and reflect on mathematical tasks and resources to uncover the mathematics students will learn,
- Adapt curriculum to meet individual student needs,
- Make mathematical connections and enhance your ability to help students do so, and
- Learn and grow as professionals within a collaborative mathematical community.
Host: Kaneka Turner
Live sessions are held on Mondays and are scheduled for the following dates:
- 9/23 – Steve Leinwand – Building the Practice of Gradual Reveal into our Instruction
- 9/30 – Chris Nho – Math Teachers as Mathematicians
- 10/7 – Kris Childs – Every Child Deserves An Opportunity to Speak — Discontinuing the Practice of Hand Raising
- 10/14 – Lauren Baucom – Aligning Practice to Instructional Vision
- 10/21 – Andrew Stadel – TBA
- 10/28 – Fawn Nguyen – TBA
- 11/4 – Dionne Aminata Samb – Our Math Stories: Instructional Practices for Inclusion
- 11/11 – Geoff Krall – Inquiry: Plain and Tall
- 11/18 – Lauren Lamb – Teaching Mathematics for Social Justice
- 12/2 – Michelle Williams – Response to Intervention: Using the Vertical Alignment to Close Achievement Gaps in Middle School
All live online sessions are scheduled from 7:00 – 8:30 PM ET
Each session is followed by a 15-minute Q & A from 8:30-8:45. The Q & A session is not recorded and is only available for Full Access participants.
Full Access Format:
The live sessions are highly interactive using Zoom video conferencing software and G Suite apps. You will participate in whole group and small group work, collaborate with colleagues on math tasks, have conversations with the facilitators and other teachers, and have opportunities to apply the new ideas to your own work.
Additionally, Full Access participants have the opportunity to join one of our micro-communities. These are small groups of participants that want to extend their thinking, apply new ideas in their settings, and have thought partners to help them reflect on this work. Following a live session, each micro-community will receive an email from the facilitator with a call to action and reflection prompts. Groups then interact and continue their learning together.
Limited Access Format:
Each live session will be recorded and you will be given access to the videos within 48 hours after the session is over. You will also have access to the tools and resources in the Google Drive folder. You are encouraged to watch the video of each session and participate in the activities as if you were there live.
Cost*: Full Access: $348 Limited Access: $98
Which format is right for me?
The Full Access format is highly recommended for a variety of reasons. First, you get to participate live with the facilitators and other teachers. We cap the class size at 50 so it’s a small group that will develop as a strong learning community. Additionally, the added features of having a private Q&A session with each facilitator and having a micro-community to extend your learning with the support of the hosts and facilitators make this format ideal for powerful professional learning. If you’re an active learner and would like to connect with like-minded colleagues and interact with these inspiring facilitators, then Full Access is the right option for you.
The Limited Access option was created for our colleagues that live in time zones that make it hard to attend the live sessions or for our colleagues that have conflicts with the live schedule. With this option you still get to learn from each facilitator and have access to the materials that are shared. If your busy schedule or your time zone prevents you from attending the live sessions or if your budget supports a more affordable option, then Limited Access is the right option for you.
* Please note that a service fee will be applied if you pay by credit card.
Can I register a group of teachers with a purchase order?
Yes. Just select the Group/Purchase Order Registration Form.
Is the fee per session or for the whole series?
The one-time fee covers all the sessions. If you pay $348, you can participate in every live session. If you pay $98, you will have access to all the recordings.
How long will the videos be available?
You will have access to the recordings and course materials until June 30, 2020.
If you have any questions, please contact Mike at email@example.com or 413-538-2063.