Professional Development for Coaching Mathematics
July 16 – July 20
The Professional Development for Coaching Mathematics Institute is structured to bring together math coaches from kindergarten through middle school and those who provide professional development or coursework for math coaching. During this highly interactive institute, participants investigate mathematics related to K-8 classroom settings, engage in discussions of cases of coaching, and explore the following essential pedagogical issues of math coaching:
- Cultivating relationships based on mathematics teaching and learning with inexperienced, experienced, and resistant teachers
- Preparing for and conducting classroom observations
- Planning for and facilitating mathematics discussion in teacher meetings
- Framing the connection between coach and teacher goals
- Collaborating with principals and district administrators
- Refining and reflecting on coaching practice.
Participants have the option to attend the sessions on campus or attend online via Zoom video conferencing.
“This course is an absolute must for any math coach. I was thrown into this coaching role in my school and was really unsure where to begin with this work. Thanks to what I learned this week, I’m actually really excited to get started.” 2017 Participant
“I can’t thank Polly enough for such an eye-opening week. I’ve been a math coach for a number of years and have never really got a chance to experience professional development that was aimed directly at the work I do. I have so many new ideas to consider and it was great to network with all the other coaches. Thank you so much.” 2017 Participant
See the Schedule & Cost page for schedule information.