Professional Development for Coaching Mathematics
July 15 – July 19
Participate On Campus or Online
As math coaches, you face a number of challenges in your position.
- You need to foster strong relationships with all of your colleagues and build trust among them.
- You encounter resistant behavior as teachers grapple with change and at times push back.
- You have to navigate that middle ground between what administrators want and what your teachers need.
- Oftentimes it feels like you’re the one providing all the professional learning which leaves little time for you to grow yourself.
Let us help.
We’ve been supporting math coaches for over a decade and we have developed this weeklong coaching institute to help you navigate the challenges you face and to help you grow your skills as a math coach. Whether you’re new to the position or have been a math coach for years, this institute is for you. Learn from experienced math coaches who understand the position and the rewards and challenges it has to offer.
What to expect
During this highly interactive institute, you will investigate mathematics related to K-8 classroom settings, analyze case studies of math coaching, and explore the following essential issues you face:
- Cultivating relationships based on mathematics teaching and learning with inexperienced, experienced, and teachers that are resisting change
- Preparing for and conducting classroom observations
- Planning for and facilitating mathematics discussions during teacher meetings
- Framing the connection between your goals and the goals of your teachers
- Collaborating with principals and district administrators
- Refining and reflecting on coaching practices
- Preparing for and conducting learning labs in classrooms
Participants have the option to attend the institute on campus or attend online via Zoom video conferencing.
“This is the first course I’ve done through MHC and I was very impressed. The week was thought-provoking, practical, inspirational, and fun. There was a real sense of building something together and learning with and from each other, in ways that can hopefully continue. I would definitely recommend the course to others, and I appreciate the option of being able to participate online. A big thanks to the whole team that contributed to making the experience a success.”
“This course is an absolute must for any math coach. I was thrown into this coaching role in my school and was really unsure where to begin with this work. Thanks to what I learned this week, I’m actually really excited to get started.”
“I can’t thank Polly enough for such an eye-opening week. I’ve been a math coach for a number of years and have never really got a chance to experience professional development that was aimed directly at the work I do. I have so many new ideas to consider and it was great to network with all the other coaches. Thank you so much.”
See the Schedule & Cost page for schedule information.